Friday, May 21, 2010

Restoration Work Done

I just completed restoring this African clay pot this morning. The person who asked me to restore it asked that I paint the pot black, and she left the rest up to me.

This is what the clay pot looked like when she brought it into my studio. I tried everything to remove the flower decals, and nothing worked. The only alternative was to sand each decal down to a rough finish so that the black spray paint would cover the pot. The sanding process was messy, and I had to be careful not to breathe in the dust. You never know what these clay pots are made of.

Rather than paint the entire clay pot by hand, John suggested that I use spray paint. That's where my dad enters the picture. He's the master of spray paint. As you can tell by this picture, Dad did a fantastic job. Thanks for your help, Dad!

I created a zigzag pattern. It took three coats of white paint to cover the black paint.

This shows the second color that I used before applying the final color in the middle of the pattern. This was a lengthy project. Now we're on to other things. Enjoy your weekend!

4 comments:

Tina said...

Wow, that turned out great. I like the transformation
T

Lisa said...

A true master, Liz, and O like how the pot turned out. Much more ethnic looking. Hey have a good weekend.

Lisa

Monkey-Cats Studio said...

I didn't know you did this too?!!! So much creativity!!
Laurie

We Blog Artists said...

Liz, great restoration...I love the African take on the design...it looks so good!
Thanks SO much for your kind words today.
I appreciate you stopping by!
HUGS
Char