Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Shabby Chic/Cottage Wall Adornments on Etsy


I just listed these new shabby chic/cottage wall adornments on Etsy. After taking Lynn's polymer clay class on Sunday, it inspired me to finish the beads used for these two adornments.

These adornments are perfect for that sorely-needed spring pick-me-up. I don't know about you, but the snow's starting to get on my nerves. Hang these one-of-a-kind pieces on your wall, or use them as ornaments.


I used Celluclay paper mache to construct each heart. Celluclay produces an old-world paper mache texture; whereas, the Paperclay (used for the beads) results in a smoother texture. I like both textures, so I decided to incorporate both paper mache products into these pieces.



Here's a closeup of the beads and parts of the hearts. This will give you a better idea about the differences in textures.

I've read where some artists use Paperclay over the Celluclay after it's dried. I've never tried that technique yet. If you have any thoughts on it, drop me a line.

2 comments:

C. said...

I'm really enjoying these spring colors, texture and simple heart shapes. I'm in the mood for spring!

C. said...

Liz,
I entirely forgot to mention- I use paperclay over celluclay in my work. Its so easy to work with but the trick I am learning is to use lots of water. Sometimes I take some and mash it up with water until its like paste and brush it on. I will not use paper clay on the sculpture with wild hair as I want explore the texture of the paper mache' and I feel the roughness is more suited to the intent of the sculpture- that is if I ever, ever, finish it.