Saturday, December 18, 2010

Today's Walking Tour of Wilkes-Barre's Murals


This morning I had the pleasure of helping a group of local Boy Scouts earn their art badges. To start the day, I served as their tour guide and showed them all of the murals on South Main Street in Wilkes-Barre. The first mural we viewed was painted by John Pacovsky. Not only is John an artist, but he's the inventor of the Float Canvas (aka the Corner Canvas), which is produced by Fredrix Canvas.


These pictures do not do justice for John's mural work, but I was working on a tight deadline and wanted to keep things moving. It was freezing outside as well, so I snapped quick pics today.

John is an inspiration to me, and I'm glad to know him! To learn more about his work, click here.



Next, we viewed one of Leigh Pawling's murals.  I love the pretty poppies. Check out the beehive hidden in the top right-hand corner.


Leigh is a well-known mural artist, and I actually helped to create her Web site. It was a fun project because Leigh is so colorful and has a wonderful sense of humor. Leigh also paints beautiful silks, so be sure to visit her Web site here


Moving right along, we had the chance to check out Sean Brady's nifty wire work. Sean is a master working with wire. I can't imagine working on that scale. Sean's certainly a creative and talented artist.

When we returned to the Art Seen Gallery in Wilkes-Barre, I reviewed color theory with the scouts and they painted some fabulous creations using the three primary colors. Then my friend Gwen took over and helped them with portrait sketching and collage.

Finally, the scouts had a chance to view some of the artwork in the gallery. John Pacovsky's "Life Size Box People" paintings obviously pertain to animals as well. I love this cat painting. If I recall correctly, John mentioned that this is his daughter's cat. To learn more about John's Life Size Box People, click here.


Meow!


I'd like to thank the Boy Scout of America Troop 232 from Dallas, PA for being a great group of kids. They really were a nice group to work with, and congratulations on earning your art badges.

No comments: