Friday, April 9, 2010

Vintage Fillmore Concert Posters


On Wednesday night, John came home with two of the best finds I think I've seen thus far: two authentic Fillmore concert posters from the '60s. Once I saw them, I knew I just had to keep them. John agreed after doing some research online and discovering that one of these babies is a first print.

I've always been a fan of this poster artwork because it reminds me of the work of Alphonse Mucha with all the heavy lines and curves, the repeat patterns, and the elegant ladies.

If you look closely, you can see that this poster was announcing the concert for Captain Beefhart & His Magic Band, Chocolate Watchband, and The Great Pumpkin at the Fillmore Auditorium in San Fransisco. Talk about wild names for bands. Gotta love it!


~The artist's name and copyright year~


~The artist's name and year within the artwork~


John knew I was going to flip over this "flame" poster because it contains the name of one of my favorite '60s bands: Quicksilver Messenger Service. The poster also names The Association and The Grassroots.


The bottom of this poster lists some of the many places where tickets were sold for this concert. 


Imagine being able to purchase concert tickets at a pharmacy.


This picture shows the frame shop on the back of each poster.





If you've never heard of Quicksilver Messenger Service, check them out on YouTube. Quicksilver's rendition of Who Do You Love is the best jam version. I love the sound of that raunchy guitar.



Dino's Song is so cheesy, but it's so good. This song has a great garage-band feel to it. I love the mangy cat lurking around in the beginning of this video. Gotta love that tripped-out van too. Ah, the artwork in the '60s was so cool.

1 comment:

Home Again said...

Hey Miss Liz. My jaw dropped seeing the posters! I am not worthy! I can't believe they are in front of me. What a score. Took me back to Woodstock. Should have taken that VW bus when everyone was leaving for Calif. back in high school. Mary