Sunday, November 1, 2009

Embracing My Lithuanian Heritage


My dad just stopped by to give me this beautiful chunk of farmer cheese. You know you're of Lithuanian descent when you actually know what this stuff is. I love to eat it plain, but it's best when used for making cheese pierogi. The cheese has a nice salty flavor.

If you don't have time to make cheese pierogi, do it the "American" way by making American pierogi as my mom calls it. Essentially, it's the quicker way to obtain the taste of cheese pierogi without all the hassle.

All you have to do is boil a box of elbow macaroni. Fry up lots of butter and onions in a separate pan. Rinse and dry your elbow macaroni, and then place some of the macaroni in a long baking dish. Spread the farmer cheese on top of the macaroni, and then pour the butter and onions over that. Repeat another layer or two in the baking dish. Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil, and bake in the oven at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes.

Last week, John's Auntie Carol made us potato pierogi "American style" with lasagna noodles and mashed potatoes. It's the same concept as the cheese pierogi but with mashed potatoes.

The key to making good Lithuanian or Polish food is using lots of butter and onions. Auntie Carol also made some red beet soup for me, and it was loaded with butter and onions. I added a spoonful of sour cream to the soup to thicken it up. That's the way my dad likes it too.

Dad gave me 3/4 of a pound of cheese. Let's see how long it lasts.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Love "Lithanian cheese" as we kids called it growing up. ;p I would love to attempt pierogi for our upcoming kucias dinner. No one seems to want to give up their traditional recipes. Thanks for this, and how about "Lithuanian bread"? (that insanely good light rye).

Liz Revit said...

Thanks for stopping by. I could dig out my mother's recipe for pierogi if you're interested.

Yes, love the Lithuanian bread too.