Saturday, February 27, 2010

Ornaments in Progress

I've been busy sketching new designs for ornaments. All week, I've been cutting shapes from cardboard, wiring them, and wrapping them with newspaper. A big fan of stars and hearts, I seem to gravitate toward these shapes. 

I've added a bottom loop to some of the ornaments with the intention of hanging some cool stuff from them. I'm thinking of old lace, fabric, beads, whatever.

I had John swing by my studio today so that I could pick up the two ornaments I made with Celluclay last week. The ornaments were left to dry for eight days. I like the way they turned out. As mentioned in a previous post, this is the first time I've used Celluclay, so I'm not sure what to expect.

I've read where some artists apply a coat of either Paperclay or Das Pronto Clay over the Celluclay, and then other artists just use the Celluclay as is. I'm going to try both of these approaches.

For today, I decided to work with the Celluclay ornaments without adding any new clay to them. I placed three coats of Gesso on each ornament. Now the hardest part is deciding what theme I should paint them in. I always think of Halloween, Christmas, and patriotic, but something's telling me to go with a shabby chic/cottage look. Hmmm. Decisions. Decisions.

If you've ever worked with Celluclay and you have any tips, please let me know. I'd love to learn more about this medium.


Debby said...

They look amazing!

Lynn Catnes said...

These are going to look really neat when you get to the rest of the decor on these ornaments. Love the shapes! Great job Liz!